East Anglia Map Ref: C2
Market Day: Saturday
Swaffham became a fashionable place in Georgian times for its social and sporting functions. Much of the architecture you see today comes from that period, but of course the town is much older than that. To the west of the market place is a large rock reputed to have been placed there by the Vikings as a town marker.|
There had been horse racing here since the 17th century, though this had declined by the early 1800s. The Earl of Orford, who founded the Coursing Club in 1786 also presented the town with the Butter Cross that stands in the middle of the market place. This was to replace the original 16th century market cross which had stood at the north end of the market area. Around the market place are several fine Georgian buildings plus a few fine old inns.
The town sign, on the edge of the market place depicts the legendary 'Pedlar of Swaffham' who is also commemorated in the Church of St Peter & St Paul, which is well worth a visit.
At the southern end of the market place, a town house now serves as the town hall and museum.
Other points of interest:
Swaffham Web Links:
Tourist Information Centre:
Market Place, Swaffham
Phone 01760 722255
Copyright © Ken Ward 2004
Photographs Copyright © Ken Ward 2004 (unless otherwise stated)
Last Updated: 11 November 2004
For reviews of books with local interest
(old and new)
check out the