East Anglia Map Ref: C5
11 miles south of Bury St Edmunds on the A1141
Lavenham has been described as 'England's finest medieval town'. It's abundance of 15th & 16th century timber buildings are certainly a joy to behold. The town has been carefully restored since the end of the 2nd World War. There is not even an overhead cable to spoil the view.|
The Guildhall which overlooks the Market Place was finished in 1529. In its time it has been a town hall, prison, workhouse, almshouse, & wool store.
Today it houses the town museum as well as providing space for parish council meetings.
Some of the houses on the hill of High Street are showing their age in the distortion that is often seen in timber framed buildings. Not a view to look at after having a few drinks.
Many of the houses have fine details around the doorways.
Not all the buildings are on the grand scale. Fortunately, some of the modest cottages of the weavers have also been preserved.
Other points of interest:
Little Hall, Market Place. Originally built in the 1390s, it is now home to the Suffolk Preservation Society.
The Swan Hotel has expanded to encompass two other 15th century houses. In the 1830's it had stabling for fifty horses.
The church on the hill above the town reflects the prosperity of the wool merchants.
Lavenham Web Links:
Welcome to Lavenham
Tourist Information Centre:
Lady Street, Lavenham CO10 9RA
Open Every day April to the end of October.
Phone: 01787 248207
Copyright © Ken Ward 2004
Photographs Copyright © Ken Ward 2004 (unless otherwise stated)
Last Updated: 11 November 2004
If you would like to make any comments or suggestions
please e-mail the